Friday, April 17, 2009

Pacific Modern: The Bible of Kiwi + Oz Architecture


A couple of years ago I came across Pacific Modern and just had to have it. When I first went to New Zealand in 2002 I was struck by the country's modern design aesthetic. Sure, I apprecited their victorian style wood cottages circa the early 1900's, but I definitely was not expecting to stumble upon a fully functioning 'Pacific Modern' aesthetic! From Auckland to Queenstown, I love Kiwi architects' use of wood, steel and concrete in combination, synthesis, actually, resulting in modern linear structures that actually take on an easy, beachy, calming effect. Author Raul Barreneche puts it this way:

[Sometimes these are crisp residential designs rendered in the most modern forms, while in other cases architects draw on local cultural or vernacular building materials, such as stone or wood, to create houses that, while still undeniably modern, are very much of their place. But the most ambitious and innovative of these projects all maintain a strong design sensibility that transcends geographic borders.]

If you're wondering, 'what the heck is New Zealand and Australian architecture?', I highly suggest Pacific Modern. We'll discuss highlights in a few...

No comments:

Post a Comment